Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Affinity Map




Background:

I made an affinity map to show the various types of sports and the differences within each. I am an avid sports fan and came away with knowledge I never really thought about.  For the Y-Axis, I chose "with balls" at the top and "without balls" at the bottom, as well as Mental and Physical on the left and right of the X-axis. I used a different color in each quadrant to show the uniqueness of each sport.  The only problem I encountered was whether to put a particular sport more towards physical or mental.  Football and basketball gave me the most trouble because they are are extremely physical and require you to be in good shape.  On the other hand, they are both team sports which require every player to know the play and what to do in certain situations (mental). I feel both traits are equally important so I placed them in the middle.


Conclusion:

With this assignment, I wanted to literally see the difference between the sports that I know.  I learned that most sports are physical and do not require a ball to be played. This was a surprise to me because prior to this assignment I imagined that almost all sports required one.   I liked making an affinity map because it allowed me to see words rather than numbers on a coordinate plane.  Being a finance major, I'm used to numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment